Thursday, January 5, 2012

We're at the airport!!!

Today was a pretty good day.  Woke up early (for real?  on my day off?!) and hopped in the shower.  Got a clean shave since I don't think I'll be touching a razor until I get back...

I managed to get the report for my client complete and delivered on time.  Tried to get my tux fitting done but they didn't open till 10 so headed off to find a haircut place nearby.  Thank God for iPhones (I'm REALLY gonna miss that in India).  Got a fresh and clean cut from a sweet lady named Tainisha (just guessing on the spelling here).

At this point, the romantic in me came out.  My wife woke me up when she was leaving at an ungodly hour and I didn't even come close to giving her a proper goodbye.  I called over to her work and had her meet me out front for a last moment before I leave.  It was WELL worth it.  I love that woman more than anything and I'm glad I got to see her pretty face wide awake before I left.

Back to getting a tux fitting.  The guy who fitted me was entertaining.  Short little fella from Nicaragua.  We were talking about international travel for a little while.  Got that done and headed off to Target to pick up last minute medicines - pepto, immodium, sudafed.  That should do it!

Went home, finished packing and got ready to get on the road.  Last minute preps to put a program on the wife's iPad so she can control my aquarium if needed.  I took a few minutes to hug each of the dogs and give Lola a good pep talk so she behaves!  This is the only time I actually cried a little.  Crazy, I know, but I fucking love my dogs!

Head to NOLA, deal with crazy dad who has calmed down tremendously!  He's finishing packing while I set up Skype accounts for EVERYONE in the family.  No shit... even put one up for Grandpa!  Teach the old folks how to use it and we're all good.  Crack a beer and help the old man finish packing.  Finally we're ready to roll!

Inconsequential ride to the airport.  Check-in was fun.  My dad and I have the same name.  Took a minute for the woman at the check-in to comprehend.  Security was lovely as well.  Got the full fat scanner instead of the simple metal detector.  The old man had to have extra screening and have his overly large medicine bag checked.  Christ...

So now we're sitting at the gate and waiting.  One more hour to go and we'll be on the plane headed for Houston.  Then from Houston to Frankfurt, Germany.  Then to Mumbai and we're supposed to land around 1:30 AM local time (IST).  That's 3:00PM central time on Friday afternoon... about 25 hours from now.  I'll update then.  I hope you folks enjoy the blog and don't be afraid to leave comments.  I'll try to update with pics periodically as well!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking dad off my hands for a few weeks. I can spend all his money here while you two spend all my money there! I am going to have to work hard to spend more than you, but I will shop till I drop trying. Be safe. Even though I don't show it often I love you guys and can't live without y'all.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete